Served in a duck master stock, this is one of Salsa’s classic dishes, the Pork and Prawn Dumpling brings together the finest things from land and sea. Served in a shallow duck master stock broth, make this at your next dinner party and you’re friends will be raving for months!
For the Duck Master Stock
500ml duck stock
½ orange, cut in half
3 dried mandarin skins ( available in asian food stores)
1 cinnamon quill
2 g sechuan pepper
2 star anis
10 g ginger root sliced
1 white of spring onion ( slice the green of the spring onion for the dumplings)
60 ml light soy sauce
40 ml chinese cooking wine
20g dark palm sugar
7 g potato starch
For the Dumplings
12 wonton wrappers
200g minced pork
150g raw prawn meat, or tiger prawns, shelled, deveined and roughly diced
1 green of spring onion , sliced
5g cloves garlic, minced
20g freshly grated root ginger
20 ml light soy sauce
10 ml sweet chilli sauce
1 pinch of sea salt & ground black pepper
The Garnish / Salad
1 punnet shitake mushrooms, finely sliced
1 punnet enoki mushrooms
1 punnet baby water cress, washed
20ml grape seed oil
30 ml orange juice
3 g dijon mustard
salt & pepper
- For the duck master stock, add all ingredients in a little stock pot, and simmer for about 15 min. In a little bowl, mix the potato starch and water and thicken the stock, pass through fine sift, and keep warm. If you can’t find duck stock, use a quality chicken stock.
- For the dumplings, mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate until ready for the next step.
- Take one wonton wrapper and place one tablespoon of the filling in the centre ( about 35g each). Then gather up the sides of the wonton wrapper and mould around the filling into a ball shape, leaving the centre exposed.
- Line a steamer tray with greaseproof paper.
- Carefully place the filled dumplings on them. Make sure the dumplings don’t touch either each other, or the edges of the pot. Steam the dumplings for 8-10 minutes, until cooked.
- Just before serving, whisk in a bowl the mustard, orange juice and oil , season to taste and toss through the mushrooms and cress.
NB: If you like the dumplings crispy you can steam the dumplings before hand , and bake them in the oven on 180 degrees for about 12 min. This is a method we use sometimes in the restaurant.